Creamy Lemon Bars are a delicious dessert consisting of a shortbread crust topped with a creamy, tangy lemon filling and a dusting of powdered sugar. These bars have a buttery cookie-like crust that is filled with a rich and lemony custard-like filling made from lemon juice, eggs, sugar, and cream cheese. The bars are then baked until the filling has set and the edges are golden. They are a refreshing and tasty sweet treat.
Creamy Lemon BarsCourse: DessertDifficulty: Beginner
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
2 eggs beaten
- In a bowl, combine butter, flour and powdered sugar until crumbly. Press crumb mixture with a spatula into an 8 by 8 inch lightly oiled, nonstick pan- as lemon bars can be sticky along pan edges.
- Bake in a preheated 350ºF oven for 12-14 minutes or until top is light brown. In another bowl, blend with an electric mixer or whisk, the remaining ingredients, adding eggs last.
- Pour over baked crust and carefully place in a preheated 350ºF oven. Bake for 22-24 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over bars when cooled. Cut into squares. Store cookies in a closed container, refrigerate leftovers.
- *For thinner cookies bake in a 7×11 brownie pan.